Now on sale: Walking at Chambers Creek

Walking at Chambers Creek, a self-published book about our local park, is now available at Blurb.com. Hardcover and softcover versions can be printed on demand. For more information, visit http://www.blurb.com/b/6549592-walking-at-chambers-creek

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Challenge 2014 - Week 17

This week has been designated as a week to share a "blessing" for April.


This Week

I have known what I would use for weeks now. If you pay attention to my Flickr photos or eBird checklists, you probably already know what I have selected. I have decided to use an Owl that had a branch break on it. I found all five of our owls (3 kids + 2 parents) the next day, so I knew the Owl was fine. Even though this is a single "blessing," I felt that it would be best to include two pictures. The first has the owl struggling immediately after the branch broke. The other is one of the three the following day to show it recovered. While I'm talking about them, I found all 3 kids (and one of the parents) again yesterday.

Pictures


Great Horned OwlThis owl landed awkwardly on a branch. Trying to reposition itself, the branch snapped. It ended up upside down holding onto another branch. I took a few shots, but I decided not to stick around too long. The owl appeared stressed, and I felt that it would be better to give it some space. Last I saw, it appeared to be flying (right side up!) low before disappearing behind a hill. I didn't hear any crashing or anything like that, but I kind of wish that I saw it after that to know it was safe. Fortunately, I found all three kids the following day.
Great Horned OwlI don't know which kid had the branch break the day before, but I found all three. It's safe to say the troubled owl recovered. I only took a picture of the most cooperative of the three.

Flickr Friday - People At Work

What have I said about people pictures? To put it nicely, I'm not a fan. Say it with me. I'm skipping this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment