Now on sale: Walking at Chambers Creek

Walking at Chambers Creek, a self-published book about our local park, is now available at Blurb.com. Hardcover and softcover versions can be printed on demand. For more information, visit http://www.blurb.com/b/6549592-walking-at-chambers-creek

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My latest toy

Months ago, I purchased an inflatable kayak. This morning, I finally got around to trying her out.




Let me explain a little about what I experienced. This boat is not always easy to move forward in a straight direction. While paddling, I had to frequently correct when we started to turn the wrong way. While the general forward motion wasn't always easy, finer maneuvers weren't too bad. We explored the inner area of the South Dock with no problems. Okay. Maybe one slight problem. The Purple Martins are still using that dock (although I didn't actually see one this time so close to the old box where they nested last year).

We launched by the Bridge to the Beach. Part of the reason for this is because I was uncertain about how well we could paddle up Chambers Creek. Apparently, that segment is not too difficult. More than likely, we will launch near the dam next time.

One potential drawback is that we threw a lot of water at ourselves. I almost ruined notes that I had taken for eBird. This could cause problems for photography. I still have some testing ahead. Among the things I want to check out is whether I can keep some object dry in a dry bag and keep it dry if I take it out while paddling is on hold.

As far as photography goes, there are still a lot of questions that I need answered. The results of my next phase of testing are very important. I may bring one of my cheaper cameras if we can't get things any drier. I can't rule out stick strictly to my waterproof. If I can keep things reasonable dry, I might use my #2 DSLR with a wide-angle lens. A bit more of a long shot would be gaining enough confidence in keeping dry to bring out my more expensive camera with the 500mm lens. I certainly won't rule out the possibility of transporting that camera so I can take pictures at locations accessible by boat only.

Although I usually find it corny to name these kinds of things, I felt that I had the perfect name for it. Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus) and Bald Eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) nest along the creek. Do you see something similar? The scientific name for Ospreys include haliaetus while the Bald Eagle is a member of the genus Haliaeetus. They are spelled differently, but they are both from the Greek for Sea Eagle. My boat just happens to be made by a company called Sea Eagle. Publicly, I will usually refer to my boat as "my boat" or something along those lines. At home, I will call it the Haliaetus.

No comments:

Post a Comment