Now on sale: Walking at Chambers Creek

Walking at Chambers Creek, a self-published book about our local park, is now available at Blurb.com. Hardcover and softcover versions can be printed on demand. For more information, visit http://www.blurb.com/b/6549592-walking-at-chambers-creek

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Chambers Creek Ospreys 2014

It's that time of year again. I have gone a full weekend without any Osprey sightings. That means I can now post the Osprey year in review.




PictureDateDescription
OspreyApril 10,
2014
I had my earliest Osprey sighting ever with one seen near the railroad bridge on March 28. That same day, the nesting platform was removed by the North dock and a deterrent was installed. Even with that deterrent, Ospreys were fighting over who got to nest in between the wires.
OspreyApril 11,
2014
Here's one of them in flight.
OspreyApril 11,
2014
Here's another shot of an Osprey in flight. This one is carrying nesting material.
OspreyApril 11,
2014
That nesting material was brought to the deterrent.
OspreyApril 12,
2014
The next day, the dock had been redecorated. A tarp was thrown over their nest and a neighboring area along the dock. This is that neighboring area. As you can see, the Ospreys weren't too happy.
Loss of a nestApril 12,
2014
Here's their former nest.
OspreyApril 12,
2014
They would continue using the dock as their dining table.
OspreyApril 18,
2014
Here's another in-flight shot.
OspreyApril 18,
2014
And another.
OspreyApril 18,
2014
I eventually found them working on a new home. Instead of the platform built for them near the wastewater treatment facility, they decided to use the concrete structure that rises over the Central Meadow. This structure is frequently referred to as the Swing Set.
OspreyApril 18,
2014
I watched as more nesting material was brought in.
OspreyApril 20,
2014
Here's more nesting material being carried around.
OspreyApril 25,
2014
And some more.
Osprey NestMay 2,
2014
The nest was really taking shape.
OspreyMay 2,
2014
It was pretty clear that the Ospreys were going to continue to use the dock despite their relocation. I made a safe prediction and said that the young would use the dock if they failed to remove it prior to flight.
OspreyMay 10,
2014
Here's one carrying some fresh fish.
OspreyJuly 6,
2014
I saw one of the young on the railroad bridge just before I went on a vacation. When I returned, I knew that I would be greeted by some new faces. Once again, we had three kids.
OspreyJuly 12,
2014
Like always, I took a lot of shot of the nest.
OspreyJuly 24,
2014
Fishing activity was on the rise as fish were carried to the young on the nest.
OspreysAugust 2,
2014
With the sun coming up from behind the nest, I managed to try a shot that wasn't possible in previous years. I went after a silhouette in front of a warm glow.
OspreysAugust 3,
2014
The young were slower than usual in learning to fly. I expected this since the Ospreys had to rebuild their nest after the county ruined their earlier work.
OspreysAugust 3,
2014
In case you couldn't make out all three kids earlier, this one should be a little more obvious. One of the parents can be seen on the right.
OspreyAugust 3,
2014
More fish.
OspreyAugust 7,
2014
This is one of the tougher shots that I try to pursue, an Osprey fishing. Unfortunately, I missed slightly with the focus and released the shutter before its talons reached in front of the head.
OspreyAugust 9,
2014
While I had seen the young get a little air, it wasn't until August 9 when I finally saw legitimate flight. I'm sure they had to have been flying before then, but I had obstacles preventing me from watching as much as I would have liked to. This was a hot summer.
OspreyAugust 9,
2014
Usually, the young are easier to approach. For some reason, this adult stood out as the most cooperative bird of the day.
OspreyAugust 9,
2014
Here's another fish preparing to be served.
OspreyAugust 10,
2014
This is one of the young.
OspreyAugust 16,
2014
I need at least one shot of a kid standing. Here's one. I have more that I took later.
OspreysAugust 22,
2014
Just because they're flying, that doesn't mean the Ospreys are through with the nest, especially when fish continue to be brought up to them.
OspreyAugust 28,
2014
Here's one of the young on a tree rather than dock. This makes for a picture that looks a little more natural.
OspreySeptember 5,
2014
I told you the young tend to cooperate. I hope these pictures are proving my point.
OspreySeptember 6,
2014
Here's another one of the young in flight.
OspreySeptember 13,
2014
I watched a Great Blue Heron land on the Swing Set. This is how one of the kids reacted.
OspreySeptember 24,
2014
Before I finish up, I almost forgot something. While the new nesting platform was not selected for the new nesting location, it wasn't a total waste. The pole did get some use this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment