Now on sale: Walking at Chambers Creek

Walking at Chambers Creek, a self-published book about our local park, is now available at Blurb.com. Hardcover and softcover versions can be printed on demand. For more information, visit http://www.blurb.com/b/6549592-walking-at-chambers-creek

Monday, September 21, 2015

Challenge 2015 - Week 37

"Humility is the mother of giants.  One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak."
-G.K. Chesterton


This Week

I have been ramping up work on vacation pictures, so this week's challenge became another afterthought. When I read "Giant," I thought of the Giant Treehouses at the Playground by the Sound. There is also a Climbing Wall with a painting of the peak of Tahoma.

Let me go off on one of my all-too-common tangents. During my time in the uninhabitable wasteland known as Utah, I was in an area frequently referred to as a valley. I questioned whether or not the flat stretch of land with the brown mountains in the background qualified as a valley. Eventually, I was told that it was a valley because there were mountains in both directions. Of course, the mountains to the West that were brought up were distant.

Using the definition I was provided, I started joking about being from the Puget Sound valley. Keep in mind that we have the Cascades to our east and the Olympics to our West. Since my picture was taken at the Playground by the Sound, I could have stretched things a bit and referred to the Puget Sound valley that gave the playground its name. Not only would that have been a stretch, but it would have required me to include a lengthy explanation in the picture's description.

Picture


Challenge 37Compared to the height of the GIANT treehouses, the PEAK on the climbing wall appears SMALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment