Now on sale: Walking at Chambers Creek

Walking at Chambers Creek, a self-published book about our local park, is now available at Blurb.com. Hardcover and softcover versions can be printed on demand. For more information, visit http://www.blurb.com/b/6549592-walking-at-chambers-creek

Friday, July 17, 2015

Progress Update - July 2015

Recent Pictures

Recent pictures are essentially on hold right now. When I gain some ground on personal projects, I will try to move to pictures from this year's vacation. Other than pictures used for the family photo challenge, those will likely be the next pictures that I upload to my Flickr account.

Older Pictures

Thanks to my personal projects and my backlog of recent pictures, I have not gotten any work in on adding pictures to my Flickr account that were taken before I signed up.

eBird

I am currently treating eBird updates as a background task. Outside of any pictures I may have used for verification, I am not actively adding pictures to my checklists. Pictures have only been added to the checklists through May 3, 2014.

Personal Projects

On the day the U.S. Open started, I revealed one of my projects to be a book that I intend to self-publish. Originally, I wanted this project to be complete before the event started. I ran into numerous problems, mostly my fault, that kept me from finishing anywhere near on time.

For starters, my countdown took up a lot of my time. Imagine for a moment that choosing a picture, setting up the post, and prioritizing new pictures from the park all combined for only one half hour every day. That would be over 180 hours lost that could have gone into the book. More than likely, I lost more than that.

Another big problem was that I underestimated the size of the project. I pretty much locked up the pictures I planned on using in March (my first tolerable Snipe pictures at the park). I should have stopped adding pictures earlier.

I also had some formatting issues. Changes were made closer to the desired release than I would have liked. While there were several problems with the format, I want to point out just one. The format was taking way too much time. Although the change meant that time was lost, it will probably end up saving time in the long run.

There's one more issue that has caused a lot of problems. I forgot about how much I struggle to accomplish anything when it's warm. I generally can't handle doing anything productive when it's over 70 degrees inside. I frequently pushed myself to keep going until around 75, but those temperatures have been hard to come by thanks to our abnormally warm weather that we have been seeing for months (the one thing that I can legitimately argue is not my fault).

Now, I have over a year's worth of backlog pictures (minus Chambers Creek Properties pictures prior to the Open) that have built up and the yearly Xmas book I give family members coming up. I should be able to eventually finish my book (no timetables yet), but I have to rush it a bit so that I can finish my other work. This is going to create a delay before I can make any real progress on my collection.

My Xmas book is my next priority after my Chambers Bay book. This means that I'm not going to go after my backlog when I complete my Chambers Bay book. Instead, I will be switching over to my next project. The good news is that my book will require me to go through vacation pictures, which I intend to upload along the way. This will result in new pictures showing up on Flickr before we reach another lull. I should also point out that I intend to rush through that book even more so than the Chambers Bay book.

No comments:

Post a Comment